Seek Your BS in SPED Academic Behavioral Strategist Degree Online
69–70 Credit Hours (Major)
$305 per Credit
Request More Information
Complete this form to receive information about coursework, admissions, tuition, and more.
Begin a Rewarding SPED Program and Prepare for Minnesota Licensure
Channel your passion for education as you prepare for a rewarding career as a licensed special education academic and behavioral strategist with the online special education bachelor’s degree program from Southwest Minnesota State University.
The online BS in Special Education Academic Behavioral Strategist degree program delivers the skills you need to manage K–12 special education classrooms. Plus, attain the credentials you need to pursue licensure in Minnesota.
- Highly skilled faculty
- Graduate ready to teach K–12 special education
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Accredited by the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB)
Courses for Future Special Education Academic and Behavioral Strategists
The online bachelor’s degree in special education academic behavioral strategist includes 25 courses for a total of 69–70 credits. SMSU designed the PELSB-accredited special education degree program to include relevant online coursework and fieldwork, delivering the knowledge needed to pursue special education academic and behavioral strategist licensure in Minnesota.
- SPED 450: Curriculum Design and Implementation in Special Education
- SPED 460: Positive Behavior Support in Special Education
- SPED 485: Autism Spectrum Disorders: Issues and Needs
SMSU Admission Requirements
Start Date May 21, 2024 Summer Term 2024
Take the next step toward reaching your professional potential by completing your application for the online BS in SPED Academic Behavioral Strategist degree program today. Support is available from the SMSU enrollment team.
|Online Application Form
|$20 waivable fee*
|Send official high school transcripts. Transfer students must send transcripts from each institution attended
|2.5 minimum, 3.0 recommended
It’s always the right time to invest in your education with SMSU. Contact an enrollment counselor by calling 1-800-201-2944 to get started today.Admissions Details
Tuition and Aid: Financing Your Special Education Online Degree
Calculate your cost for attending SMSU Use our tuition calculator to help you estimate your total tuition costs.
Whether you’re applying for a college degree for the first time or picking back up where you left off in your education, SMSU’s tuition and aid packages can assist you. With scholarships available and competitive tuition, we can help make your degree program affordable.
|Cost per Credit Hour
|Total Credit Hours
|Total Estimated Cost**
|$42,388.80 – $42,916.80
|$52.64 per credit hour (Fall & Spring)
$48.24 per credit hour (Summer)
|The estimated tuition cost does not include factors like textbooks or other expenses
SMSU proudly welcomes active military and veteran students. We accept the GI Bill™ and VA education benefits. Learn more by contacting an enrollment counselor or by visiting our military benefits page.
Financial Aid Options & Support
Southwest Minnesota State University offers a variety of solutions to help you invest in your education. SMSU offers in-state tuition rates to all students, along with a variety of financial services, including military benefits, financial aid opportunities, and scholarships for qualifying applicants.
Take your next step in financing your education by completing your FAFSA today. Use SMSU’s school code: 002375Tuition Details
Where Will a Special Education Academic Behavioral Strategist Bachelor’s Degree Lead You?
Schools nationwide face teacher shortages, with special education classrooms experiencing the greatest impacts. The National Center for Education Statistics reported that 43 percent of short-staffed schools struggled to hire special education teachers in 2022.1 These shortages pose challenges in Minnesota, particularly in rural areas.2 Answer the call for special education professionals with the online BS in Special Education Academic Behavioral Strategist program from SMSU.
In-Demand Careers for Special Ed Degree Graduates
Special Education Teacher $62,950 per year3
Behavioral Analyst $70,255 per year4
Earning your bachelor’s degree in SPED Academic Behavioral Strategist online with SMSU allows you to join a supportive community of diverse students and expert industry leaders. You’ll gain expert skills and academic credentials for pursuing Minnesota licensure by graduation.
What You’ll Learn
- Confidently pursue special education academic and behavioral strategist licensure in Minnesota
- Effectively teach K–12 special education for MN students with mild to moderate disabilities
- Apply strong management skills inside the special education classroom
Meet Our Faculty
SMSU employs a faculty of experts who are top-skilled in their fields. Our educators are fully committed to providing each student with personalized and thoughtful instruction to help you succeed academically and professionally.
Faculty Spotlight: Dr. LeAnne Syring
Dr. LeAnne Syring began her education as a non-traditional student after raising four children. She enjoys teaching and has recently completed her Doctor of Philosophy in Early Childhood Education with an emphasis in Inclusion of Students with Special Education Needs. With a love of teaching early childhood and special education, her goal is to continue to teach at the university level until retirement.
Learn Online with Southwest Minnesota State University
Whether you’re enrolling in a degree program for the first time or completing a degree you previously started, learning online with SMSU provides the flexibility you need to be successful. Our online programs offer the same rigorous curriculum delivered on campus, plus the convenience of studying on your schedule from the location of your choice.Discover SMSU Online
Sources and Disclaimers
- The Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Statistics, “U.S. Schools Report Increased Teacher Vacancies Due to COVID-19 Pandemic,” at https://nces.ed.gov/whatsnew/press_releases/3_3_2022.asp (visited October 12, 2023).
- KARE11. “Survey finds hundreds of Minnesota teaching vacancies remain unfilled,” at https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/breaking-the-news/survey-finds-hundreds-of-mn-teaching-vacancies-remain-unfilled/89-96b25870-5c03-484e-8b27-1c0ace77971e (visited October 12, 2023).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Special Education Teachers, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm (visited October 12, 2023).
- Payscale.com, Average Behavior Analyst Salary, at https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Behavior_Analyst/Salary (visited October 12, 2023).
*Contact our enrollment team for more details!
**Tuition costs and fees will vary based on semesters of enrollment and number of transfer credits accepted. Contact our enrollment team to learn more.